Find Me

Head over to The Unsewn, it's live!

21 January 2011

Friend Friday: What is authentic blogging?

The idea of authentic blogging gets thrown around as much as organic food. What makes a blog authentic? I think having your own ideas makes it as authentic as it possibly can. So let's dig a little deeper than that. So many bloggers want to be famous and profitable these days there is growing the attention to authenticity. Ok, fair enough. You want to do well in journalism of any sort you have to approach your writing with integrity and ethics. Also roped into this notion of authenticity is original content. Original content is not just "What I Wore" or "This SS11 collection is totally inspiring" type of posts, it goes a little further. Why not take pictures at a show or create a mood board or collage? I would have to say that the first option is the most fun for me but maybe not for everyone. So, as you can see, everyone throws around the word authenticity in blogging but it is really an umbrella term that inhabits quite a bit of work, effort, and creativity. Because fashion week in New York is nearly at our doorsteps and the bloggers will be rallying in NY I thought it apt that Katy Rose posted these questions to answer.

Jil Sander pictured above is a fashion house that always sticks to what they know making them a pretty authentic brand. I would also like to include Celine and Acne.

1. Most readers and fellow fashion bloggers value authenticity in the blogs they read. How would you describe blog/blogger authenticity? It is strange to describe authenticity. I would call my blog very authentic as I work with and write about what I know. Recently it has been important to myself to feature local artists and interview them as well as fashion editors. My approach to blogging is to discuss fashion blogging, the fashion industry, and the fashion media. It is a more difficult approach but I think it is quite authentic.

2. When it comes to your blog how to you infuse it with that true/authentic feeling? Since September it has been important as a blogger and a documenter to start photographing things I find interesting. That might seem elementary but it helps in both respects differently. With blogging I am able to take street style photos in my home town or when I travel. Being able to give your audience a first hand glimpse of what you are seeing as a blogger is a big way to provide an authentic feeling.

However I disagree with the idea of an authentic feeling of a blog. It almost seems like it should be forced and as a result fake and unauthentic. Ethically speaking it is miserable to see bloggers writing about what they get for free. I think most prominent bloggers have now shied away from this advertorial writing but lesser known bloggers are following suit. It makes it difficult for the blogging community to receive compensation for their work. And that is just unacceptable.

3. Have you stopped following a blog in the last three months? What made you lose interest? Yes, I follow blogs almost instantly after finding them. It is similar to impulse buying without buyers remorse. Often I read through a few weeks of posts before adding so I guess it isn't too much of an impulse. Recently I see that a lot of the blogs I follow post about the same things and look the same. That isn't to say that they are unauthentic but that I was feeling uninspired. Also, my own ideas about art, fashion, media, were not being challenged and that is a big deal to me. I like blogs to challenge me a bit while still being aesthetically pleasing. It is a lot to ask.

4. We can't communicate effectively on our blogs, something we don't live in real life, what are some ways you try to live an authentic life? I guess I start out by telling the truth and being a civil human being regardless of whether that is in style. I am also aware that I make mistakes and try to be humbled by them. It isn't easy being apart of a scope (fashion blogging) that promotes vanity and materialism but having a transparent understanding of it all keeps it fun!

5. Give a shout-out: Which bloggers do you think are truly genuine and why? I would like to give a shout to the following lesser known bloggers who always remain amazingly true to themselves despite the trends.

He loves womenswear and continues to write about what he loves. He also gives great advice on dressing for both women and men. His talents reach beyond these few things but they stand out to me because most men won't step up to the plate.

Muireann of Bangs and A Bun
She had such an amazing 2010 that lead her to carry on a major discussion about blogger compensation with big business. I am glad that we are Twitter friends as she also gives the best advice about life and blogging. She is a big sis of sorts.

Why don't you know about these ladies?! They are a power pack duo that loves food and San Francisco as much as I do. They have made an impact with always dressing the way they want and posting about what they genuinely love and that, to me, speaks volumes of authenticity. They also have a great relationship with their readers which seems to be lacking with bigger bloggers these days.


Life is beautiful, let's share a little. 

Joy D.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I would love to read what you think. I love responding to your questions. Ask away!