Find Me

Head over to The Unsewn, it's live!

18 February 2011

Friend Fridayz: But I look good, don't I? pt.1

This week we are discussing blogging and body image.* And in all honesty I am very excited to answer these. Also, by 5pm (Est) tomorrow I will have videos of the start of my 60 day challenge to eat better and exercise from home. I feel that they both have similar distinctions although I don't want to get "sexy" just for the sake of this blog. Each year I set physical goals for myself to achieve, this is by far the most ambitious. The goal with this project is to enlighten my readers through my You Tube the difficulties and rewards of treating your body right. And there will be a return to the video outfit post! 

An old outfit vlog post. Just a preview! 

Body image is something that the fashion industry stills struggles with. I could spend a whole week on the general opinion of fashion models as more luxury commodity than people that could receive injury from eating disorders. So how does a blogger tackle this subject of body image? I think it is much easier for fashion bloggers to say: "F this, I am doing my own thing!".  Fashion models, editors, designers, and all the other hard workers in the industry don't really have that option. So let's keep that in mind as we progress, shall we?

1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed? If anything it has empowered me to be myself more so even if it isn't popular. The body shapes of the more popular bloggers echo that of a more realistic runway model. Who would not be intimidated to be a size 14 in that environment? So yes, I felt a little self conscious that people would not read what I had to say because of my size but I created the blog anyway. I also find inspiration from my bootilicous blog friends and friends I interact with on a weekly basis. 

I am glad that I have not discovered too many bloggers altering themselves physically purely for more readers or for more brands to recognize them. Although, unfortunately, I think those bloggers exist it sets an odd precedent for your readers.

2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway? I am always self conscious about my voice both as a blogger and as a person. I can come off pretty strong willed! And it can intimidate in all the wrong ways or at least that is my perception. No one can avoid who they are without major identity changes. And the same goes for myself, I just try and stay aware of my problems. Subjects of my personal life rarely enter my blog. Maybe they should: I like reading bloggers that are willing to be vulnerable to their audience.

3. Based on how you are feeling now, what do you think the future holds in the evolution of your body image? I had an eating disorder in middle school and high school. That was a struggle I would not wish on anyone. This disorder was considered "acute" by my guidance counselor because I never lost "too much" weight. This is just an example of how complex eating disorders are. Not only stick thin women and men have them. So to deal with it with an absence of psychological help was a true struggle but I came out on the other side with a healthier view on life. That is not to say my mind slips on occasion but I just feel more comfortable with me.

The future will probably see me loosing weight and running a marathon or doing some ambitious task like that. Why? Because I admire bloggers like Leslie Bangs who not only discusses fashion but insists on pushing boundaries and getting fit for her health! If you have not checkout her blog do so here: http://bangsandabun.com/. I am looking forward to this 60 day challenge as well. I started this week with 30 minute workouts in the morning every other day and a shift in dietary habits! Next week, alternating with 45-1hr exercise days I will be doing yoga. I am very excited.

4. Do you photograph yourself for your blog? If so, how do you feel about the experience when you're having your picture taken? If you choose not to post pictures of yourself, what prompted that decision? Yes I photograph myself for my blog. And I have talked about this on my blog before. I had an insecurity as a blogger that would some how pigeon hole myself into a personal style blogger over night. That could not be further from the truth. And while I am behind on my 30x30 postings the project has helped me to look at shooting my outfits in a different way. When I am photographed by someone else I am pretty comfortable. Alternatively, when I am photographing myself it is a struggle. Being my own photographer forces me to wear multiple hats at the same time and sometimes it conflicts with the picture. I like that process and I like sharing that process with my readers.

5. What would you want every person who struggles with body image to take to heart? Size is nothing but a number, do what is healthy. What is healthy for you is the best for you! And you are beautiful person regardless of your size!

If you are a blogger, has your blog made you examine yourself more closely?
If you are not a blogger, do blogs make you reasses your body image at all?


*Thanks again to Katy Rose for maintaining the FBFF group and to all of its participating members who are a constant resource and inspiration. 


Life is beautiful, let's share a little. 

Joy D.

4 comment(s):

Liz said...

I really love these questions and your answers. I don't post pictures of myself, mainly, because I never have the time to actually take them. But of course, there is always more behind it than just not having time. Interestingly enough, I set some diet and excersise goals for myself this week, but not for the sake of the blog, for the sake of me! Of course, once I reach my goals, I'm sure I'll be more comfortable posting photo's of myself. I really admire bloggers who are comfortable in their skin and posting photo's of themselves, but that's just not me. While I think people can be beautiful and healthy at many different sizes, I personally don't feel healthy myself and would like to get back tot the point where I do. So all in all, I'm sure theres some part of me that wants to finally accomplish my weight goals for my blog, but it's a very small part.

Hiven said...

So lovely. x hivennn

The Fashion Philosopher said...

Very interesting post. I had always problems with my weight, and had eating disorders since the age of 12 even as a boy ( a boy who wanted to look like a male model ). I am still refraining to put pictures in my block since I put some weight on during the last months, and I do not feel self- concious enough. Lucky me, my girl friend is a graphic designer and was retouching models for a year. So actually the only photos of me on my block are at the moment retouched ( you are suprised how a few little tricks with photoshop can change you a lot ) also I must say I really alowed just a few little changes. I think in regards of weight problems Weight Watchers was the only diat that worked. My girl friend lost almost 50 pounds ( 25 Kg ) with it but very slowly over almost a year but we kept the weight down for almost 3 years.
I know it is very hard to be confident and with even almost 35 years of age I am still struggling to find myself attractive. But this does not intefere with my love for fashion though!!! The Fashion Philosopher

iplayfaves said...

Thank you both for contributing with such thought to this subject!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I would love to read what you think. I love responding to your questions. Ask away!