Find Me

Head over to The Unsewn, it's live!

03 July 2010

Why I don't like lace bellbottoms


I know I am getting on a negative foot with these longer posts I am doing but I just opened my inbox and click on the Shopbop "Brand New something or other"and the model is wearing white lace bell bottoms. First I will cover the obvious.


Oh yea, EVERY blogger wears those right?
Hell no! Well, I tell ya, that is exactly what Shopbop thinks. They been using this concept to sell their clothes. I will contradict myself by saying that I like some of what they carry. That doesn't excuse their marketing campaign. It makes me uncomfortable, why the gimmick? Because it is what they are known for. Before bloggers it was socialites like Paris Hilton.
Oh yes, I would not tell a lie. The whole thing bothers me yet I keep going to their site to peruse. I wish there were catalogs of substance to skim through instead of e-shops to fumble through.*


Secondly, how are these pants flattering on anyone with ass? I'm convinced they aren't. There are always exceptions and Vanessa of The Hot Pursuit, who is pictured above, is the lucky candidate. She even wrote a DIY tutorial on them just in case you completely disagree with me and are looking for a cheaper alternative.

Life is beautiful, let's share a little.
Joy D.



*Endnote: Remember catalogs? Yea, I don't either but I have been reading up on how cool they were/are. I am currently searching for some reliable catalogs. If you know about clothing catalogs email me or put it in the comments!

11 comment(s):

Skyler Man said...

uh yeah i really am NOT a fan of those..I think Vanessa looks cute, but it's also another one of those times where I might like something online, but would be like WTF if I saw someone rocking this look in real life

Anonymous said...

I kind-of like the black ones. I think they'd be more fun done-up Jerry Hall glam than boho/biker chick, though (which seems to be the current trend) because they're so silly that you might as well go big or go home. However, I've no occation for them, which makes me a little sad!

Anonymous said...

occasion - oops! You know what I'm sayin' ...

SabinePsynopsis said...

Mmmmh, they do look good on the models, but I don't think they would suit me (neither figure nor taste-wise). But I'm sure there are some bloggers/girls who love the Paris Hilton style.
(I do wear my hair down quite often, btw ;-)

Unknown said...

I totally agree ..only work on super young skinny kids ...I got too much ass for them. Also, I remember them making a huge comeback in the 90's so that's all they really remind me of ...dirty girls lol. ...still, the black lace ones you have shown are better than the vintage/90's version, at least more flattering. funny post!

InnyVinny said...

Yeaaaaaaaaaah...I can't get jiggy with lace pants. And not even because they'd be unflattering, but because they're the equivalent of wearing a sheer shirt with no bra on...at least in my mind they are. Lace.Pants. Seems very, umm, hooker-eque to me.

You know, I never realized that was shopbop's selling angle. I need to check out the site more to see what you mean.

And yes, I remember catalogues!! =D My favorite one was from a home goods store that doesn't exist anymore. I loved going through that thing to make Christmas lists.

Damn, this was a long comment. Sorry.

etoilee8 said...

These pants always make my eyes hurt. I don't know who thought they were a good idea but they need to stop. Reliable catalogs . . . lemme think about that one for a moment.

Keepitrockkinn said...

I whole heartedly agree with you here. Some trends are just not feasible for all body types and this is definitely one of them. I also feel as if they would be kinda hard to build a look out of.

frockitout.blogspot.com

DREAMY said...

haha. i have never liked them either. but somehow.. all the pretty skinny girls are making them more appealing..
but no. i'm not swayed. as ultimately they are a rather tacky looking item, and as you point out not good for the rear.

DREAMY said...

haha. i have never liked them either. but somehow.. all the pretty skinny girls are making them more appealing..
but no. i'm not swayed. as ultimately they are a rather tacky looking item, and as you point out not good for the rear.

InnyVinny said...

Yeaaaaaaaaaah...I can't get jiggy with lace pants. And not even because they'd be unflattering, but because they're the equivalent of wearing a sheer shirt with no bra on...at least in my mind they are. Lace.Pants. Seems very, umm, hooker-eque to me.

You know, I never realized that was shopbop's selling angle. I need to check out the site more to see what you mean.

And yes, I remember catalogues!! =D My favorite one was from a home goods store that doesn't exist anymore. I loved going through that thing to make Christmas lists.

Damn, this was a long comment. Sorry.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I would love to read what you think. I love responding to your questions. Ask away!