Find Me

Head over to The Unsewn, it's live!

02 March 2010

Visual...Joy D. Basquiat?

I wanted hair like my friend Greglan, he has a lions mane. My hair, on the other hand, is more like Jean-Michel Basquiat. See what I mean?

Basquiat, he's the man!

Me and my favorite sweater (vintage L.L. Bean).

My hair used to be this thing that I spent an enormous amount of time, money, and product on. It was a ridiculous amount! I thought that by manufacturing this "look" I was doing myself a service. Now love my hair now more than ever and I am much more comfortable with myself. The best part about it is that my boyfriend loves it too, although he would prefer longer hair in any format. All in all people generally enjoy my hair and I think it has a lot to do with my comfortability. This is not a post knocking those that spend hours or hundreds of dollars on their hair. This is merely me expressing much elation about how comfortable I have become with myself. My advice to those that want a "new look" do something for YOU not for a trend because your hair is a much more permanent statement than your clothing. Take it from Tavi who dyed her hair blue or Dree Hemingway who went pink for a bit. Be true to what you like and you will be happier for it.

Life is beautiful, let's share a little.
Joy D.

4 comment(s):

Wends said...

so true :)
you look great!
and thanks for offering to help me get some anthropologie goodies!
probably shouldn't trying ot get my shopping habits under control haha

x

Chelsea Rae said...

I totally agree. My hair is not unprocessed my any means, but I'm much too lazy to spend more than an hour or so each week doing it (usually that hour includes blow drying and flat ironing it). The rest of the week, it just does whatever it wants, and I've learned to love it's imperfections and occasional awkward cowlicks. :)

SabinePsynopsis said...

So true, Joy! I've pretty much given up going to the hairdresser (probably not forever, but for the time being). Your hair is lovely and you might even want to let it grow a bit... BTW, I love Basquiat's hair!

SabinePsynopsis said...

So true, Joy! I've pretty much given up going to the hairdresser (probably not forever, but for the time being). Your hair is lovely and you might even want to let it grow a bit... BTW, I love Basquiat's hair!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I would love to read what you think. I love responding to your questions. Ask away!