Find Me

Head over to The Unsewn, it's live!

25 March 2011

Friends Friday: What does feminism mean to a fashion blogger?



1. Do you think there is an incompatibility between feminism and a love for fashion? No, feminism and fashion are separate entities to me. I do not consider myself a feminist and because of this I don't see any conflicting interest. As a blogger it is fun to point out the fluffy inconsistencies in the fashion industry. Some of those inconsistencies include model size, adspace manipulation, and the fashion blogger: all but the first deal in other subject matter than feminism.

2. There is more to each of us than a love for fashion, how do you incorporate every aspect of yourself into your blog? As I am working on the layout for my new blog (theunsewn.com) it is difficult to narrow down my projected interests. On this blog however I haven't put much attention into tailoring my interests, you see them all! For the new blog I will focus on critical attention to fashion film, fashion magazines, independent designers, and vintage/historical fashion. The blog will bring out the nerdy side in both you (The reader) and me. I think it is great when a blogger has a tailored interest on their blog. My favorite blogs that do this are Arash Minazini, Park and Cube, and Business of Fashion. Each are distinct and share something special with fashion enthusiasts and the blogging community.

3. With the fashion industry still being a male-dominated profession, how do you think it would differ if women played a larger role? I think there would be more of a free-for-all creatively. This would be a healthy thing because it would be a huge shift socially and economically. This is all purely subjective, who knows what would happen. If it did happen I would be right there at the front lines talking about it. The fact that fashion, which has an overwhelming female consumer percentage, is dominated by men isn't surprising but it does tell an interesting story about what the consumer really wants.

4. How is your self-image and the way you carry yourself informed by your beliefs?  None of my beliefs reflect how I dress. However, I take strong stances on issues but have had a problem in the past with, uh, running my mouth? It does help that I am prone to argue my point on occasion. These are all things I am working on because I realize while Feminism and other hot button topics are important not everyone wants to talk about them.

5. Do you think clothing/makeup/hair helps communicate the truth about yourself or are those things superfluous add-ons? To be honest addons can be superfluous or make a statement about who you are. I have dreadlocks and it is because I was tired of spending all my money on hair products. I was also tired of spending so much time worrying about it getting messy. Now I have lots of freedom to do with it what I want. My friends really seem to like my hair and that is kind of cool that my seemingly offbeat decision is accepted.

My love of menswear is not absent from this blog and it does influence the way I dress. This is part functionality and practicality and part aesthetic I guess. I wear a larger dress size and sometimes men's shirts and pants fit better than women's. Also fast fashion hasn't caught on to menswear yet so most of the men's clothing I find in thrift stores are better made.


Life is beautiful, let's share a little.

Joy D.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I would love to read what you think. I love responding to your questions. Ask away!