Find Me

Head over to The Unsewn, it's live!

09 May 2009

Happy B-day Mr. Brown!

Happy Birthday John Brown! Famous American crazy man and most importantly a radical abolitionist. President Abraham Lincoln said he was a "misguided fanatic". Brown has been called "the most controversial of all 19th-century Americans [citation]. He was revered, hated, and feared all at the same time, with good reason. He managed to take over a fort and massacre many but was then captured and eventually hanged. With historians now looking into the "secret" lives of Presidents and their adversaries this might be a person to look forward to reading about in a few years.

I can't deny that while I enjoy fashion and I love music even more history really captures my full attention. I can have a conversation about my favorite designers and albums of the year but history means more to me than that. You learn so much with such little information about people that were rarely mentioned in your history books. That being said, W.E.B. Dubois wrote a book on Brown, it is a little lengthy and if you are familiar with his writing you know it can sometimes be dry but I have read a few chapters of interest and it is a great way to get incite about a white abolitionist from an African American civil right's activist's point of view.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I would love to read what you think. I love responding to your questions. Ask away!